Regaining Mobility and Confidence
Susan B. Allen offers comprehensive occupational therapy services to assist individuals in acquiring the knowledge, skills and attitudes necessary for the performance of life tasks. Occupational therapy often works in conjunction with physical therapy to help patients learn transfers, balance, and other gross mobility activities. Once the patient has learned the basic techniques, occupational therapy programs can provide the opportunity to apply mobility skills so that mobility becomes automatic while the patient concentrates on personal daily living skills, homemaking activities, or preparatory activities to return to work.
Are You in Need of Occupational Therapy?
Occupational therapists and occupational therapy assistants, as members of the health care team, work closely with doctors, nurses, physical therapists and other health care professionals. The occupational therapist provides evaluation and consultation services to inpatients, outpatients and patients being seen by the Susan B. Allen Home Health Care Agency. Consultation services in the home might include recommendation for home modification, adaptive equipment, or other services useful in the care of the patient.
Services provided by Susan B. Allen include rehabilitation for:
- Upper extremity joint sprains, muscle strains and bursitis
- Surgery (hand, wrist, elbow and shoulder)
- Injuries from accidents
- Strokes or heart attack
- Brain damage
- Developmental delays (cerebral palsy, mental retardation, Down's Syndrome and others)
- Illness (multiple sclerosis, muscular dystrophy, arthritis and others)
- Upper extremity splints
Occupational Therapy Services
Occupational Therapy is skilled treatment that helps individuals achieve independence.Services include:
- Customized treatment programs aimed at improving abilities to carry out activities of daily living
- Comprehensive evaluation of home and job environments and recommendations on necessary adaptation
- Assessments and treatment for work performance skills
- Recommendation for and training in the use of adaptive equipment to replace lost function
- Instructions to family members and attendants in safe and effective methods of caring for individuals
- Education on energy conservation, work simplification and joint protection tips
- Assessments to aid in diagnosis of developmental delays
- Stretching, strengthening, and coordination exercises for injured upper extremity joints and muscles
- Physical agent modalities (ultrasound, electrical stimulation, thermal modalities, iontophoresis)
Susan B. Allen Memorial Hospital is accredited by the Joint Commission. Most treatments are reimbursed by Medicare, Medicaid, Blue Cross/ Blue Shield, and most private insurance carriers.
For more information about the services provided by the rehabilitation department, please call (316) 322-4580.