Text Size

Social Work

Helping patients in and out of the Hospital

Our Social Work department works with your physician, nurses and a variety of other resources to make sure your needs are met both before and after dismissal from the hospital. It's important that patients are actively engaged in learning about their health issues so that they can take control of their aftercare. The Social Work Department (social services) is staffed by licensed social work professionals and registered nurses. 

During Your Hospital Stay Social Services Can Help You and Your Family

  • Handle emotional stress while separated from your family
  • Determine your full range of needs upon discharge
  • Prepare for your post-hospital care

Planning for Your Hospital Discharge

When the discharge plan is expected to be complex, a social worker or nurse case manager is often involved.  They will meet with you and your family early in your hospital stay to evaluate your needs and help determine resources available which can help you meet post-hospital needs.

Factors in the assessment include:

  • Physical and emotional needs at the time of discharge
  • Amount of assistance available from family
  • Resources available in the community to help with your care
  • Financial resources

Following the assessment of these factors, the social services worker will provide information regarding possible options to help you make informed choices.

As part of the plan, the department can help you obtain a variety of services, such as:

  • Home Health Care
  • Transportation
  • Medical equipment
  • Meals-On-Wheels
  • Housekeeping
  • Financial assistance
  • Cancer assistance
  • Hospice
  • Other community services for which you may qualify
  • Nursing home placement
  • Assisted living

How to Contact Social Services

  • Susan B. Allen social workers are in the hospital five days a week Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
  • Call the Social Work Department at 316.322.4553.
  • You may also call the Hospital at 316.321.3300, and ask for the Social Work Department.
720 W. Central El Dorado KS 67042.  (316) 321-3300